- Bobby Briggs: Laura wanted to die.
- Dr. Lawrence Jacoby: How do you know that?
- Bobby Briggs: Because she told me.
- Dr. Lawrence Jacoby: What else did she tell you? Did she tell you that there was no goodness in the world?
- Bobby Briggs: She said that people tried to be good. But they were really sick and rotten on the inside, her most of all. And every time she tried to make the world a better place, something terrible came up inside her and pulled her back down into hell, and took her deeper and deeper into the blackest nightmare.
"None of it is true, folks. I’m through even shouting about it. I’m through coming here and saying, “Hey, folks, this guy —” I’m through. It doesn’t matter anymore. Nothing is real anymore. The same thing we were talking about yesterday. Everything’s buzz, PR, whatever you can make people believe is true. If it’s on television, it’s true. People see it on TV, it happened. It’s a dangerous thing."